Puccini’s tragic story of doomed love among the impoverished young bohemians of late 19th century Paris is moved to a seaside town on the south coast of England, where four young men are living the youthful dream, yearning for love and not working too hard.
Their flat is run down, they’re content to live on take-aways, they complain when they run out of money and have perfected the art of dodging the landlord. Their lives are filled with trips to the pub, late night dancing and girls … until Mimi knocks on the door.
Rodolfo opens the door, eyes and hands meet and a passionate affair begins. The story follows the cash-strapped lovers as their relationship unfolds, from its joyous beginnings to the bitter end on a chilly promenade. This new contemporary production of Puccini’s thrilling, passionate love story captures the raw, consuming power of young love, performed in Opera Holloway’s intimate and immediate style.
English surtitles are provided. Running time is 2 hours which includes a 20 min interval.
Rodolfo – Alex Haigh
Mimi – Callie Gaston
Musetta – Nia Coleman & Musetta – Lorena Paz Nieto
Marcello – Samuel Oram
Colline – Matthew Thistleton
Schaunard – Louis Hurst
Benoît/Alcindoro – Konrad Jaromin
“… genuinely sumptuous from top to bottom” British Theatre Guide
✭✭✭✭ “An evening of rare musical quality and tremendous energy and verve” Britishtheatre.com
- Friday 19th July – Woolstore, Codford, Wiltshire
- Sunday 21st July – Outdoor performance at Leith Hill Place, National Trust, Surrey
- 30th August – Sutton House, Hackney, London. National Trust
- Friday 6th September – Riverside Arts Centre, Sunbury on Thames, Surrey
- Saturday 14th September – The Corn Exchange, Dorchester, Dorset
- Sunday 15th September – Stalbridge Village Hall, Dorset
- Saturday 21st September – Tithe Barn, Sullington, West Sussex . Shipley Festival
- Thursday 26th September – The Kenton Theatre, Henley on Thames, Oxfordshire
- Sunday 29th September – Pop Up Theatre, Community Centre, Lingfield, Surrey
- Saturday 5th October – Vera Fletcher Hall, Thames Ditton, Surrey
- Thursday 10th October – St Teresa’s School, Effingham, Surrey
- Saturday 12th October – St Martin’s Church, Epsom, Surrey